Tuesday 13 December 2022

Faith - Hope - And - Love - Advent Penitential Eucharist With Examination Of Conscience 2022

Surfers Paradise Catholic Parish - (podcast of Eucharist, including readings, prayers, homily)

Greetings from Surfers Catholic parish!

Please find linked below the latest edition of the Faith - Hope - And - Love - Advent Penitential Eucharist With Examination Of Conscience 2022 and link to the (audio) podcast of the mass, especially produced for those who are unable to be with us at mass.

https://soundcloud.com/user-633212303/faith-hope-and-love-advent-pentitential-eucharist-with-examination-of-conscience-2022/s-pxxeooa51Yw

Many thanks,

The Parish Team

PENITENTIAL CELEBRATIONS DURING ADVENT 2022


Please listen to the audio recordings of the Penitential Mass for Advent – (Readings, prayers, and homily), by clicking this link here:

https://soundcloud.com/user-633212303/faith-hope-and-love-advent-pentitential-eucharist-with-examination-of-conscience-2022/s-pxxeooa51Yw

Greeting
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

Amen.
The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ,
and the love of God,
and the communion of the Holy Spirit
be with you all.

And with your spirit.

My brothers and sisters, Advent is a time of preparation, when we make ready to celebrate the mystery of our Lord's coming as man, the beginning of our redemption. Advent also moves us to look forward with renewed hope to the second coming of Christ, when God's plan of salvation will be brought to fulfilment. We are reminded too of our Lord's coming to each one of us at the hour of our death. We must make sure that he will find us prepared for his coming, as the gospel tells us: 'Blessed are those servants who are found awake when the Lord comes' (Luke 12:37). This service of penance is meant to make us ready in mind and heart for the coming of Christ, which we are soon to celebrate in the Mass of Christmas.

or
Now it is time for you to wake from sleep, for our salvation is nearer to us than it was when we first believed. The night is ending; the day draws near. Let us then cast off the deeds of darkness and put on the armour of light. Let us live honestly as people do in the daylight, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in lust and debauchery, not in quarrelling and jealousy. But rather let us put on the Lord Jesus Christ and give no thought to the desires of the flesh. (Romans 13:11-12)
21.
Prayer

My brothers and sisters, we look forward to celebrating the mystery of Christ's coming on the feast of Christmas. Let us pray that when he comes he may find us awake and ready to receive him.
(All pray in silence for a brief period).
Lord our God,
maker of the heavens,

as we look forward to the coming of our redeemer
grant us the forgiveness of our sins.
We ask this through Christ our Lord.
R. Amen.

or
Eternal Son of God,
creator of the human family

and our redeemer,
come at last among us
as the child of the immaculate Virgin,
and redeem the world.
Reveal your loving presence
by which you set us free from sin
in becoming one like us
in all things but sin,
for you live and reign for ever and ever.
R. Amen.
22.


Readings
First Reading

Malachi 3:1-7

See, I am sending my messenger to prepare the way before me, and the Lord whom you seek will suddenly come to his temple. The messenger of the covenant in whom you delight—indeed, he is coming, says the Lord of hosts. But who can endure the day of his coming, and who can stand when he appears?

For he is like a refiner's fire and like fullers' soap; he will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver, and he will purify the descendants of Levi and refine them like gold and silver, until they present offerings to the Lord in righteousness.[a] Then the offering of Judah and Jerusalem will be pleasing to the Lord as in the days of old and as in former years.

Then I will draw near to you for judgement; I will be swift to bear witness against the sorcerers, against the adulterers, against those who swear falsely, against those who oppress the hired workers in their wages, the widow, and the orphan, against those who thrust aside the alien, and do not fear me, says the Lord of hosts.

For I the Lord do not change; therefore you, O children of Jacob, have not perished. Ever since the days of your ancestors you have turned aside from my statutes and have not kept them. Return to me, and I will return to you, says the Lord of hosts. But you say, 'How shall we return?'
The word of the Lord.


Responsorial Psalm Ps 85:1-13
R.
Lord, let us see your kindness, and grant us your salvation.

O LORD, you have favored your land,
and brought back the captives of Jacob.
You forgave the guilt of your people,
and covered all their sins.
You averted all your rage;
you turned back the heat of your anger.

Bring us back, O God, our savior!
Put an end to your grievance against us.
Will you be angry with us forever?
Will your anger last from age to age?

Will you not restore again our life,
that your people may rejoice in you?
Let us see, O LORD, your mercy,
and grant us your salvation.

I will hear what the LORD God speaks;
he speaks of peace for his people and his faithful,
and those who turn their hearts to him.
His salvation is near for those who fear him,
and his glory will dwell in our land.

Merciful love and faithfulness have met;
justice and peace have kissed.
Faithfulness shall spring from the earth,
and justice look down from heaven.

Also the LORD will bestow his bounty,
and our earth shall yield its increase.
Justice will march before him,
and guide his steps on the way.

R.
Lord, let us see your kindness, and grant us your salvation.


Second Reading
Revelation 21:1-12

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying,

'See, the home[a] of God is among mortals.
He will dwell[b] with them;
they will be his peoples,[c]
and God himself will be with them;[d]
he will wipe every tear from their eyes.
Death will be no more;
mourning and crying and pain will be no more,
for the first things have passed away.'

And the one who was seated on the throne said, 'See, I am making all things new.' Also he said, 'Write this, for these words are trustworthy and true.' Then he said to me, 'It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give water as a gift from the spring of the water of life. Those who conquer will inherit these things, and I will be their God and they will be my children. But as for the cowardly, the faithless,[e] the polluted, the murderers, the fornicators, the sorcerers, the idolaters, and all liars, their place will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulphur, which is the second death.'

Vision of the New Jerusalem
Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues came and said to me, 'Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb.' And in the spirit[f] he carried me away to a great, high mountain and showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God. It has the glory of God and a radiance like a very rare jewel, like jasper, clear as crystal. It has a great, high wall with twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and on the gates are inscribed the names of the twelve tribes of the Israelites
The word of the Lord.

Gospel Acclamation
The Spirit and the Bride say: "Come."
Let all who hear answer: "Come."

Come, Lord Jesus.

Gospel
Matthew 3:1-12

In those days John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness of Judea, proclaiming, 'Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.'[a] This is the one of whom the prophet Isaiah spoke when he said,

'The voice of one crying out in the wilderness:
"Prepare the way of the Lord,
make his paths straight."'

Now John wore clothing of camel's hair with a leather belt around his waist, and his food was locusts and wild honey. Then the people of Jerusalem and all Judea were going out to him, and all the region along the Jordan, and they were baptized by him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins.

But when he saw many Pharisees and Sadducees coming for baptism, he said to them, 'You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bear fruit worthy of repentance. Do not presume to say to yourselves, "We have Abraham as our ancestor"; for I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children to Abraham. Even now the axe is lying at the root of the trees; every tree therefore that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.

'I baptize you with[b] water for repentance, but one who is more powerful than I is coming after me; I am not worthy to carry his sandals. He will baptize you with[c] the Holy Spirit and fire. His winnowing-fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing-floor and will gather his wheat into the granary; but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.'
The gospel of the Lord.

{Homily -
That image of John the Baptist calling people to repent,,, to turn their lives around…. And allow God's grace to refine us, purify us, heal us and fill us with the graces and virtues that will crowd out any vestiges of vice and values inconsistent with the Lord's word…..
This image of God as "refiner and purifier of silver" reminds us that facing our sin… admitting it and asking God's healing mercy… is difficult… its an ordeal… but its worth it,…… Our Lord only reveals to us our weaknesses, faults, and sins not so that we would lose hope and hate ourselves….. but that we would turn back and call upon god's love and mercy for the help we need… and the help God truly wants to offer us…. Let us trust in God's infinite mercy and turn back and be renewed,,… by our God who comes among us as one who saves…… who makes his home amongst his people….. }

{We note that eucharist and penitential prayers and acts are effective for the forgivness of venial or general sin….. if our relfection upon our conscience and our lives reveals to us any serious sins (mortal sins) we are called to seek the sacrament of penance with a priest as soon as possible… all other sins, general and venial… are remitted by eucharist and acts of general penance… which this liturgy assists in….}

Examination of conscience
After the homily, the examination of conscience takes place; a sample text is given in Appendix III. A period of silence should always be included so that each person may personally examine his conscience.



Eg B.



The Lord says: 'Love one another as I have loved you.'
1. Have I a genuine love for my neighbours? Or do I use them for my own ends, or do to them what I would not want done to myself? Have I given grave scandal by my words or actions?


2. In my family life, have I contributed to the well-being and happiness of the rest of the family by patience and genuine love? Have I been obedient to parents, showing them proper respect and giving them help in their spiritual and material needs? Have I been careful to give a Christian upbringing to my children, and to help them by good example and by exercising authority as a parent? Have I been faithful to my husband (wife) in my heart and in my relations with others?

3. Do I share my possessions with the less fortunate? Do I do my best to help the victims of oppression, misfortune, and poverty? Or do I look down on my neighbour, especially the poor, the sick, the elderly, strangers, and people of other races?

4. Does my life reflect the mission I received in confirmation? Do I share in the apostolic and charitable works of the Church and in the life of my parish? Have I helped to meet the needs of the Church and of the world and prayed for them: for unity in the Church, for the spread of the Gospel among the nations, for peace and justice, etc.?

5. Am I concerned for the good and prosperity of the human community in which I live, or do I spend my life caring only for myself? Do I share to the best of my ability in the work of promoting justice, morality, harmony, and love in human relations? Have I done my duty as a citizen? Have I paid my taxes?

6. In my work or profession am I just, hard-working, honest, serving society out of love for others? Have I paid a fair wage to my employees? Have I been faithful to my promises and contracts?

7. Have I obeyed legitimate authority and given it due respect?

8. If I am in a position of responsibility or authority, do I use this for my own advantage or for the good of others, in a spirit of service?

9. Have I been truthful and fair, or have I injured others by deceit, calumny, detraction, rash judgment, or violation of a secret?

10. Have I done violence to others by damage to life or limb, reputation, honour, or material possessions? Have I involved them in loss? Have I been responsible for advising an abortion or procuring one? Have I kept up hatred for others? Am I estranged from others through quarrels, enmity, insults, anger? Have I been guilty of refusing to testify to the innocence of another because of selfishness?

11. Have I stolen the property of others? Have I desired it unjustly and inordinately? Have I damaged it? Have I made restitution of other people's property and made good their loss?

12. If I have been injured, have I been ready to make peace for the love of Christ and to forgive, or do I harbour hatred and the desire for revenge?


Act of repentance

The act of repentance follows the examination of conscience. All may say the I confess to almighty God or the intercessions as in no. 60.
The Lord's Prayer is said or sung, and is concluded by the presiding minister in this way:

I confess to almighty God
and to you, my brothers and sisters,
that I have greatly sinned,
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done and in what I have failed to do,
through my fault, through my fault,
through my most grievous fault;
Then they continue:
Therefore, I ask blessed Mary Ever-Virgin,
all the Angels and Saints,
and you, my brothers and sisters,
to pray for me to the Lord our God.

May almighty God have mercy on us,
forgive us our sins,
and bring us to everlasting life. Amen.

LORD HAVE MERCY
CHRIST HAVE MERCY
LORD HAVE MERCY

Lord our God,
on the first day of creation

you made the light
that scatters all darkness.
Let Christ, the light of lights,
hidden from all eternity,
shine at last on your people
and free us from the darkness of sin.
Fill our lives with good works
as we go out to meet your Son,
so that we may give him a fitting welcome.
We ask this through Christ our Lord.
R. Amen.
or:
Almighty and eternal God,
you sent your only-begotten Son

to reconcile the world to yourself.
Lift from our hearts
the oppressive gloom of sin,
so that we may celebrate
the approaching dawn of Christ's birth with fitting joy.
We ask this through Christ our Lord.
R. Amen.

Participation in euicharist and penitential ceremonies is effective for the forgicvenss of venial sin… (general sin)… so this ceremony is complete of itself…. Any other sins that concern us… please seek and make an appointment with a priest for the sacrament of confession. (we acknowledge that with continuing waves of covid, availability of reconciliation is still not as regular as it used to be, but for those who need it, it can be celebrated by appointment).


Blessing

Bow down for the blessing.
May the almighty and merciful God,
by whose grace you have placed your faith
in the First Coming of his Only Begotten Son
and yearn for his coming again
sanctify you by the radiance of Christ's Advent
and enrich you with his blessing.
Amen.

As you run the race of this present life,
may he make you firm in faith,
joyful in hope and active in charity.
Amen.

So that, rejoicing now with devotion
at the Redeemer's coming in the flesh,
you may be endowed with the rich reward of eternal life
when he comes again in majesty.
Amen.

And may the blessing of almighty God,
the Father, and the Son,
+ and the Holy Spirit,
come down on you and remain with you for ever.
Amen.

Dismissal
Go in peace, glorifying the Lord by your life.

Thanks be to God.

+++

Archive of homilies and reflections:
http://homilycatholic.blogspot.com.au
To contact Fr. Paul, please email:
paulwkelly68@gmail.com

To listen to my weekly homily audio podcast, please click this link here:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633212303/tracks

You are welcome to subscribe to Fr Paul's homily mail-out by sending an email to this address:
Subscribe to mailing list to keep up-to-date

Further information relating to the audio productions linked to this Blog:
"Faith, Hope and Love - Christian worship and reflection" - Led by Rev Paul Kelly

Roman Missal, 3rd edition, 2010, (ICEL)
Advent Penitential Prayers – From the Book of Rites, Penance -
Scriptures - New Revised Standard Version: © 1989, and 2009 by the NCC-USA.

"The Psalms" by The Grail - 1963, 2009.

"O Come. Lord. (Advent) HYMN" - In Memory of Paolo Mario (Paul) Giacomantonio (1968-2020).
By Paul W. Kelly. Based on the Ancient church "O Antiphons" of Advent.
Arranged and sung, with additional lyrics, By Stefan Kelk, 2020.

"Have Mercy" Music by Paul W. Kelly. Arranged by Stefan Kelk. 2020.

"Quiet Time." Instrumental Reflection music. Written by Paul W Kelly. 1988, 2007. & This arrangement: Stefan Kelk, 2020.

[ Production - KER - 2022]

May God bless and keep you.




(Surfers Paradise Catholic Parish sends these emails in order to speedily keep in touch with parishioners, including for the occasional urgent/emergency emails affecting parish schedules (which has come in handy already for several unexpected events in the past - which people were grateful to receive quickly - So, we ask that you please consider keeping subscribed to this mailing list, as it helps us keep in touch in all sorts of changing situations. We have had times when parishioners said they did not know of an important development within the parish and it turns out that they had opted out of this central email).

No comments:

Post a Comment