Saturday 31 December 2022

Rest in Peace Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI - (16th April 1927-31st December 2022)

Rest in Peace, Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI -

(16th April 1927-31st December 2022)

Eternal Rest grant to him, O Lord. And May perpetual light shine upon him.

May he rest in Peace.

May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed,

through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen. 

 

Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI  

(Joseph Aloisius Ratzinger)

(16th April 1927-31st December 2022)


Pope Benedict XVI from 19 April 2005 until his resignation on 28 February 2013.


Joseph Aloisius Ratzinger was born on 16 April, Holy Saturday, 1927, at Schulstraße 11, at 8:30 in the morning in his parents' home in Marktl, Bavaria, Germany.  He was baptised the same day.


Ordination to Diaconate 29 October 1950

Ordination to the priesthood - 29 June 1951

Consecration as archbishop - 28 May 1977

Created cardinal - 27 June 1977 by Paul VI

Elected Pope 19 April 2005

Resigned from his role as Pope 28 February 2013

Entered Eternal life 31 December 2022


He was made a full professor in 1958 at the age of 31.  After a long career as a professor of theology at several German universities, he was appointed Archbishop of Munich and Freising and created a cardinal by Pope Paul VI in 1977


In 1981, he was appointed Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, one of the most important dicasteries of the Roman Curia. From 2002 until he was elected pope, he was also Dean of the College of Cardinals. Before becoming pope, he was "a major figure on the Vatican stage for a quarter of a century"


He was a priest,  bishop, pope, author,  professor,  theologian and pianist.

His Motto-   “Cooperators of the Truth”

 

Psalm 42

Longing for God and His Help in Distress

To the leader. A Maskil of the Korahites.

1 As a deer longs for flowing streams,

    so my soul longs for you, O God.

2 My soul thirsts for God,

    for the living God.

When shall I come and behold

    the face of God?

3 My tears have been my food

    day and night,

while people say to me continually,

    ‘Where is your God?’

4 These things I remember,

    as I pour out my soul:

how I went with the throng,[a]

    and led them in procession to the house of God,

with glad shouts and songs of thanksgiving,

    a multitude keeping festival.

5 Why are you cast down, O my soul,

    and why are you disquieted within me?

Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,

    my help 6 and my God.

My soul is cast down within me;

    therefore I remember you

from the land of Jordan and of Hermon,

    from Mount Mizar.

7 Deep calls to deep

    at the thunder of your cataracts;

all your waves and your billows

    have gone over me.

8 By day the Lord commands his steadfast love,

    and at night, his song is with me,

    a prayer to the God of my life.

9 I say to God, my rock,

    ‘Why have you forgotten me?

Why must I walk about mournfully

    because the enemy oppresses me?’

10 As with a deadly wound in my body,

    my adversaries taunt me,

while they say to me continually,

    ‘Where is your God?’

11 Why are you cast down, O my soul,

    and why are you disquieted within me?

Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,

    my saviour and my God


No comments:

Post a Comment